Key Academic Information - Year 9
2016 - 2017
- Half-term report home (grades only)
- Parents’ meeting with Year 9 group tutors - final Wednesday before half-term
- End of term report home
- Discussions with Year 9 pupils about GCSE choices
- Half-term report home
- Presentation to Year 9 parents on ‘GCSE Options’ - final Friday before half-term
- Parents’ meeting with Year 9 subject tutors - final day of term
- GCSE Choices - ‘GCSE Options’ booklet and choices pro forma available. Pro forma to be submitted after the Easter holiday
- End of term report home
- Return of GCSE options pro forma - first week of term
- Parents' Day - final day of the first half-term
- End of year internal examinations - pre and post half-term break
- End of term booklet report home
- Text books to be returned to the issuing department by the end of term
1) Academic Trips, Visits, Exchanges and Fieldwork
A number of trips, visits, exchanges and fieldwork activities take place throughout Year 9 which support pupils’ academic studies. Where necessary, parents will be given as much notification as possible of the precise dates of these activities.
2) Summer term internal examinations
These internal examinations are an important opportunity for pupils and teachers to gauge levels of progress. Pupils are strongly advised to prepare for these internal examinations as fully as possible to ensure that they are in a position to perform to their potential.
Appropriate revision during the preceding half-term break is strongly advised to consolidate the work covered during the academic year. Parents are encouraged to make any holiday arrangements with this firmly in mind. The outcomes from these examinations will be one strand of evidence which will inform GCSE options and setting decisions in Year 10.
Reports are sent home at the end of each term and at half-term in the autumn and spring terms. The report at the end of the summer term is a full booklet. The reports at the end of the autumn and spring terms are A4 summary sheets. The spring half-term summary reports will list grades and may include some subject tutor comments. Reporting sessions are used by group tutors and senior tutors to closely monitor pupil performance and progress. Parents are contacted as appropriate following reporting sessions if a pupil is not meeting academic expectations.
4) Year 9 Programme
As part of the Year 9 programme, pupils will be involved in a series of activities and trips throughout the year:
|Monday 05 September||Induction Day|
|Saturday 10 September||Headmaster’s BBQ|
|Sunday 11 September||Sandcastle Competition, Weston-super-Mare|
|Sat. 17 - Sun. 18 September||Outdoor Education Camp 1|
|Sat. 01 - Sun. 02 October||Outdoor Education Camp 2|
|Tuesday 18 October||House Song|
|Wednesday 19 October||Concert and Group Tutor Meetings|
|Saturday 5 November||Year 9 Social Event|
|Sunday 13 November||Remembrance Sunday|
|Monday 14 November||Chapel Assembly|
|Tuesday 22 November||Choral Service, Wells Cathedral|
|Friday 25 November||Co-curricular Evening|
|Thursday 1 December||Carol Service|
|Monday 5 December||Boys' Touch Rugby and Girls' Hockey|
|Thursday 8 December||Celebration of Music at Millfield|
Parents will be advised of further activities/dates upon confirmation.