Key Academic Information - Year 10
2016 - 2017
- Induction Day
- Year group induction event
- House Song (Tuesday 18 October)
- Half-term report home (grades only)
- Parents’ meeting with group tutors – final Wednesday before half-term
- End of term report home
- Half-term report home
- Year 10 Formal Dinner
- Parents’ meeting with subject tutors – final Sunday half-term break
- End of term report home
- End of year internal examinations – pre-half-term break
- Year group recital
- Parents’ Day – final day of the first half-term
- End of term booklet report home
1) Coursework (or Controlled Assessments)
Formal coursework/controlled assessments tasks will be ongoing throughout Year 10; these will take place during normal timetabled lessons.
2) GCSE Examinations
- GCSE Drama practical examinations take place in the first half of the summer term.
- A minimum of three oral and written controlled assessments will be carried out over the two year course in some languages.
3) Academic Trips, Visits, Exchanges and Fieldwork
A number of trips, visits, exchanges and fieldwork activities take place throughout Year 10 which support pupils’ academic studies. Where necessary, parents will be given as much notification as possible of the precise dates of these activities. In some subjects, participation is regarded as an essential part of the course.
4) Summer term internal examinations
These internal examinations are an important opportunity for pupils and teachers to gauge levels of progress. Pupils are strongly advised to prepare for these internal examinations as fully as possible to ensure that they are in a position to perform to their potential.
Appropriate revision during the preceding Easter break is strongly advised to consolidate the work covered during the academic year. Parents are encouraged to make any holiday arrangements with this firmly in mind. The outcomes from these examinations will be one strand of evidence which will inform decisions about setting in Year 11 and tier of entry in terminal examinations.
Reports are sent home at the end of each term and at half-term in the autumn and spring terms. The report at the end of the summer term is a full booklet. The reports at the end of the spring term are A4 summary sheets. The spring half-term summary reports will list grades and may include some subject tutor comments. Reporting sessions are used by group tutors and senior tutors to closely monitor pupil performance and progress. Parents are contacted as appropriate following reporting sessions if a pupil is not meeting academic expectations.